Recently, I was out to dinner with a friend of mine at a local Indian restaurant named Tandoor. Very good food there. But while my guest and I were talking we noticed an elderly couple making their way to the door. Since we are both nurses, we continued our conversation but kept an eye on the couple as they shuffled towards the door. Simultaneously, my guest's eyes got quite large and the elderly man stumbled.
I was about to ask her what she was responding to when the gentleman fell into my lap! I quickly wrapped him up and held him there until he could get his bearings about him. We stood up together and he apologized profusely. I asked a few questions but his embarrassment had the better of him. Since he was limping on his left side, I handed his cane to him in his left hand and off he went. His wife was quick to explain that they just purchased the cane from the drug store. I kept an eye on them until they were safely in their car.
My concern is this...buying a medical device like a OTC medication and not receiving any instruction. He did not know to use his cane on the weak side of his body. As a consequence, he collapsed in the direction of that left sided weakness. So often, consumers go to the store and buy a vitamin, supplement, or appliance without knowing how to properly use it or the consequences that may result.
I fully support our society elders to live in a manner they want - as long as they are safe and educated on the consequences of their decisions. Your doctor has a nurse dedicated to taking calls, getting information and returning that call back to you. When you buy something at a drug store, talk to your pharmacist. Even if it is not in the pharmacy area, they are highly educated professionals who's job is to educate and care for their clients.
In a pinch, give me a call. Falling into my lap at dinner is not required. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment